Monday, August 4, 2008

hello, wall.













I guess it's to be expected 8 weeks into the training season (1 week from halfway)...

Jon and I ran our second 10-miler this weekend. The longest distance I've run in training (I missed the 12-miler due to a bone bruise in my foot a few weeks ago). The first 10-miler went pretty well. The weather was beautiful, I remembered to drink water, my pace was consistent, the sermon I listened to on my pod was inspiring...yes, the first one was good.

Not so the case with the second.

I'm not sure exactly why. Time out because of an injury...lack of sleep...serious dehydration...96 degree weather. Maybe all those things. Maybe none. Maybe it was just an emotional wall. Either way, this weekend's long run was probably the worst-feeling run of my entire life.

And for the first time really in this whole training season, I felt very discouraged. The thought of more miles after those ten (probably 4 of which were essentially walked) was terrifyingly daunting. A marathon...impossible.

I have this quote (see picture) tacked to the bulletin board on my desk above my training schedule, and it struck me as particularly relevant today as I logged Sunday's disappointing pace. It's important for me to remember that this whole training thing may not be comfortable or enjoyable all the time. It's not always going to feel good. The weather won't always be sunny. My body won't always be healthy. My heart and mind won't always be inspired.

But oh, what a feast.

1 comment:

jessbs said...

Hey E baby, I hear you about feeling shot after 10 miles and thinking 26 to be insurmountable, or even keeping on doing 10 miles to train for 26. But if there's something I know about you (and I know a few things), I know you will do what you put your mind to. I know that you CAN, yes, but you WILL do what you put your mind to. Your actions follow your beliefs, and I think you believe in what you are running for, and you are running and raising money for the sake of Christ and those he loves.

You continue to inspire me.

Don't stop.

RUN